الدكتور محمد مصطفى جامعة ذمار، كلية الطب، الفنون

السبت، 12 فبراير 2011

grammar , Types of Sentences

Grammar II ,
Instructor Dr./ Mohd. Mustafa

Types of Sentences

1. Subject + Noun (SN)
1. Ali is a student
2. He is a teacher.
3. Asma is a mother

2. Subject + adverb (SA)
1. Ali is here.
2. he is in his room
3. It is well .

3. Subject + verb  (SV)
1. Sam is sleeping.
2. Nada can come.
3. It  has been raining.
3. The teacher left.
5. She works.

4. Subject + adjective (SAd)
1. Sam is tall.
2. The dog is Russian.
3. It is very beautiful.
 
5. Subject +verb + Adverb (SVA)
1. It rained heavily.
3. Maher speaks fluently .
3. My brother will return  next month.

6. Subject + adverb + verb (SAV)
1. I was terribly shocked.
2. He often comes.
3. It rarely rains .
4. We often meet.

7. Adverb + subject + verb (ASV)
1. Certainly , I do.
2. yesterday,  it rained.
3. Beside the widow , she sat.


8. Subject +verb+ object (SVO)
1. Ali drove the tractor.
2. Sam is studying computer.
4. Asma plays the guitar.

9. Subject + verb+ object + object  (SVOO) ''WORDS IN ITALICS ARE INDIRECT OBJECTS; THE UNDERLINED ARE DIRECT OBJECTS'' 
1.  Ruth gave my son a birthday present .
2.  I can show you my diploma .
3.  My friends will save her a seat .
4.  You may ask the speaker another question .
5.  I sent the company  an e-mail .
6.  My brother told me a strange story 

10. subject + verb + adverbial complement (SVA) .
1. My parents  are living  in Riyadh.
2. Nasir plays very well.
3. Mary came early.

11. subject + verb + object + adverbial complement (SVOA) .
1.     You [s] can put [v]  your coat [o]  in my bedroom[a]  .
2.     Ali[s] drives[v]  the bus [o] very fast [a]
3.     The contractor [s] has  finished[v]  the project[o]  completely [a] 
4.     The president [s]  will make[v] a speech [o] on Tuesday[a]

12. Subject + verb + adjective (SVAd)
1. This word sounds Italian.
2. It tastes sour
3. It feels cold
4. It smells nasty
5. The poem sounds romantic
6. Her dress looked beautiful
7. It has become cold.
8. His clothes went wet
9. I feel tired.

13. Subject + verb + complement (SVC)
1. Alex  is playing  for a Spanish team.
2. She is studying in Sana'a university
3. I play  , but not so often.

14. Subject + verb + object +  complement (SVOC)
1. Alex  is playing football  for a Spanish team.
2. She is studying mathematics in Sana'a university
3. I play chess  , but not so often.

15. Subject + verb + object +  adjective (SVOAd)  

1. You (S) have made (V) me (O) very happy (Ad).
2. I found  your father asleep.
3. I have painted my car in red.
4. We got a cylinder of gas very expensive.

****************
16.      Simple Sentence (Declarative , without verb)

1.Sana'a is the capital of Yemen.
2. Asma is the elder in the family.

17.      Simple sentence , Clausal (verbal)
1. Amjad can design commercial websites.
2. Nasir is going to study geology.

18. Compound sentence , A multiple sentence is a sentence that contains one or more clauses (structures that can be analyzed in terms of sentence elements such as subject and predicate). [often with comma(s)]

1.  She is a governorate administrator, and everybody knows that.
2.  Mountains are turning green, flowers are blooming, and summer time is  returning.
3. Send it to me by e-mail  or bring it around yourself.
4. They have played badly every year since 2005 , but this year may be different.

19. Complex sentences , A multiple sentence in which one or more subordinate
clauses are embedded: [with no comma]

1. Everybody knows that she is a governorate  administrator.
2. I failed one subject because of  the allocated time of the test.
3. He saw the trouble that idle gossip can cause.
4. I am glad that you are joining our company.
5. You might have  got a reward if your poem was received in time .

20. Affirmative , non-verbal
1.     Paris is Like London in prices.
2.     She is a new physician in this hospital

21. Affirmative , verbal

1.     I have visited Paris twice.
2.     she working as a physician in the public  hospital


Negated sentence

1. She never had a secretary.
2. Nobody talked to us.
3. This is no ordinary painting.
4. It seldom rains here in November

22. Negative Sentence , non-verbal 
1. Paris is not like Frankfort in Prices.
2. She is not a physician nor a nurse.

23. Negative Sentence , verbal 
 1. I have never visited Paris.
 2. She won't come today.

24. Interrogative Sentence

1.           Is this your notebook ? ( yes, no ) ( non-verbal)
2.           has your sister got a job? ( yes, no ) (verbal)
3.           Who is your favorite singer ? (information , non-verbal)
4.      Where can I find a pharmacy selling Pharmaton ? (information , non-verbal)
5.           You are Ahmad brother , aren’t you ? (tag expecting yes  , non-verbal)
6.           Ahmed is not your brother , is he ? (tag expecting no  , non-verbal)
7.           You are living with Ahmad , aren't you ? (tag expecting yes  , verbal)
8.           You are not living with Ahmad , are you ? (tag expecting no , verbal)

25. Defining sentence
1. Entomology is the science which studies insects.
2. Internet is the worldwide information web that you can access to through telephone connection .
3. The physician who takes care of women's diseases is called gynecologist.

26. Conditional sentence
1. If  I work as a journalist , I will report about economic affairs.
2. Unless it rained yesterday , I could join you .
27. Verb Tense Sentence
Put the below sentence in these tenses:
1.     I watch TV when my father sleeps.
2. Simple past :
………………………………………………………………………………………
3. Simple future
………………………………………………………………………………………
4. Perfect present
………………………………………………………………………………………
5. Perfect Past
………………………………………………………………………………………
6. Perfect future
………………………………………………………………………………………
7. Continuous present
………………………………………………………………………………………
8. Continuous past
………………………………………………………………………………………
9. Continuous future
………………………………………………………………………………………
10. Perfect continuous present
 ………………………………………………………………………………………
11. Perfect continuous past
………………………………………………………………………………………
12. Perfect continuous future
………………………………………………………………………………………

28. Active sentence and passive sentence :
Review your lecture on passive voice.

29. fragmentary sentence ( when the antecedents are hidden but may be known to speakers)
1. Did you give it to him
2. I may tell her about what did they say .
5. Put it there please.

30. Two-clause sentence (linked sentence, multiple sentence )
1. The book had been borrowed from the library just one hour before I came to borrow it.

31. Imperative sentence (Command or request )
1. Please , keep calm , and don't speak.
2. Sit beside me.
3. Give me your telephone number

32. Exclamatives (or exclamative sentences)
1. How well you look!
2. What a good friend you are!
3. Open the door for them.

33. Zero auxiliary
1.     Sam works for a governmental clinic in the rural area .
2.     We finished all exams before August.
3.     I sometimes watch European football matches on Al-Jazera Sport 2.


34. Obligatory sentence
Review your lecture on Auxiliary and Modals

35. Head adverbial
1. Luckily , no one was injured
2. Surely , I will come
3. Politically speaking , AIPAC is a Zionist  organization.
4. Unfortunately ,  I don't have a cable telephone .

36. Phrase modified
1. The telephone  on the desk is Basma's
2. A bag  full of drugs was caught in the airport.
3. The building to your right is a private school

37. Clause modified
1. The student I like to sit beside is Aneesa.
2. The house where we live in is going to be rebuilt a restaurant.
 

38. Reporting (Direct speech) & Reported (Indirect speech )  
1. He said , " My wife will fly tomorrow to Dubai to visit her sister .''
2. He said that his wife would fly the next day to Dubai to visit her sister"
3. '‘The solution is in your hands,’' she said.
4. She told us that the solution was in our hands.


39. Cleft sentences
In a cleft sentence the sentence is divided into two and one part is given greater
prominence:

1. It was Thomas Edison who (or that) invented the electric lamp.
2. It was a Palestinian  flag that he was waving.
3. It was in 1939 that (or when) the Second World War started.
4. It was after I spent a summer working for a grocery  that I decided to become a merchant.
5. It was in Paris that Sam  and George  became friends.
6. What I want is a good sleep.
7. What he did was open my letters.
8. What I’m going to do is see the principal.


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

ملحوظة: يمكن لأعضاء المدونة فقط إرسال تعليق.